Saturday, August 13, 2016

Jason Bourne Review (2016)

Jason Bourne


  Holy crap, I've been waiting for this movie to come out ever since the Bourne Ultimatum ended! I'm not one of those people who hated the Jeremy Renner Bourne movie, but I can't say I wasn't happy to see Matt Damon in the role again.

  So, what did I think? Well, this movie is definitely entertaining, fun, and cool, but it lacks one thing that the original trilogy had. That is cleverness. Nothing here feels new or fresh, and that was part of the big appeal of the other films. 

  I've never been a huge fan of Paul Greengrass's directing stylistically, but it never bothered me so much as it did in this film. The overuse of handheld camera in action scenes made it feel like they didn't have anything that good to shoot and so they went for the whole chaotic feel Gary Ross's Hunger Games had. Another thing, was the extreme closeups. It was unnecessary and took me out of the film instead of bringing me into it.

  I'm gonna talk now about some of the new cast; Alicia Vikander and Riz Ahmed. I've had my eye out for both of them after seeing Nightcrawler and Ex Machina. There is no doubt they can act. However, Alicia's accent was all over the place in this movie and Riz just seemed like his character didn't have much to do. 

  I know it sounds like I've been hating a lot on this movie, but in all honesty it isn't bad at all. There is a really cool car chase and some cool hand-to-hand combat. A lot of what they tried to do with the narrative, worked well and was effective on a small scale, but not so effective when they tried to go bigger. For me, I'd give Jason Bourne a 6 out of 10 stars. (Worth Ticket Price)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment