Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Swiss Army Man Review (2016)

Swiss Army Man

 

  *cough cough* well that was the weirdest movie I've ever seen...

  Swiss Army Man is the story of a young man (Paul Dano) stranded on an island and about to hang himself, when a dead body (Daniel Radcliffe) washes up ashore. Hallucinating from starvation, he befriends the corpse and tries to find his way home. 

  Swiss Army Man had quite the reaction at Sundance, half of the audience walking out before it even ended and the other half declaring it the best movie of the year. Obviously I had to see it and now that I have, the response totally makes sense.

  This movie is absolutely ridiculous, but it is also ridiculously self aware. It's whimsical, aesthetically pleasing, original, and charming, all the while exploring the concept of loneliness, madness, and love. The beautiful, quirky directing style and fantastic soundtrack, reminded me of a Spike Jonze film. THAT is never a bad thing.

  Paul Dano is one of the most underrated actors working today and he really gives a soulful performance in this film.  I kept thinking that he reminded me of a young Joaquin Phoenix, the way he can make almost any character sympathetic. 

  This movie isn't for everyone or even the majority of people, As I mentioned before, it's intentionally absurd, crude, and often times diverts to the lowest common denominator of humor. At times, Swiss Army Man's ambitious, unconventional storytelling packs a powerful punch, and other times it's quite heavy-handed and even a little pretentious. That said, I still found myself thoroughly engaged. If you see this movie, I suggest watching it alone so you can take it in for what it is without fear of being judged. 7 out of 10 (Very Good)

No comments:

Post a Comment