Monday, August 6, 2018

Blindspotting Review (2018)

Blindspotting


  One word. Whoa.
  I left this theater absolutely speechless, my heart in my stomach, my mind spinning. Blindpsotting hit me like a hammer to the chest and came as a total surprise in every way.
  Blindspotting is the story of a man living in Oakland and trying to make it through the last three days of his probation. It's a simple story, but it tackles massive issues such as police brutality, gentrification, white privilege, incarceration and implicit bias. How it managed to do all of this affectively with such a short run time and with such nuance, is an insane mystery to me.
 The way Blindspotting blends the heavy, serious themes and storyline with laugh-out-loud, buddy-comedy is unlike any film I've ever seen. This is of course credited to both Daveed Diggs and Rafael Casal who acted and wrote the film, and were nothing short of spectacular in their delivery.
  There is no reason the tone of the film should make sense, but it does. And just when you wrap your brain around that, they add spoken-word rap into the mix like an urban musical.
  Blindspotting places you in the shoes of another and makes you feel what they feel. This film builds a case for empathy in a way that is so pitch-perfect and timely that you would never believe it was written 10 years ago.
  As you can see, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. In fact, it is currently competing with Hereditary for the number 1 favorite spot of this year. If you haven't seen it yet, go! Add it to the top of your list. Blindspotting is a compelling masterpiece, and it reminded me why I love cinema and how important it is to have diverse representation. 10 out of 10 stars (A Must See)

No comments:

Post a Comment