Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Spider-man: Homecoming Review (2017)

Spider-man: Homecoming


The third reboot of Spiderman stars Tom Holland, Michael Keaton, Zendaya, and a lot of other up-and-coming actors. When I first heard they were rebooting Spider-man again, I was actually excited. My favorite villain from the comic books was going to be in it, my boy Tom Holland was going to be in it, and lastly, Marvel finally received the rights to the character. Unfortunately, Sony still owns a lot of the other characters like Mary Jane, Harry, etc., but honestly, the new, more diverse cast infused the film with much-needed novelty and modernization. It was nice seeing characters such as Flash represented in a more 2017 way. We don't generally have the typical jock bullies anymore. These days the bully probably would be a bit more of a geek since geeks are in and all. The actor of Flash, Tony Revolori, first showed his talent in The Grand Budapest Hotel. I was happy to see him in this role, and I'm excited to see him in the future films.
  There was a lot that I really liked about this movie. I like that they didn't feel the need to show us the same origin story we've seen the past two times. Peter has already been bitten, Uncle Ben is already dead, responsibility, blah blah blah, and we are continuing from there. I really liked Tom Holland in this role. He's high energy, he's quirky, and the best part is he's actually a teenager. Spiderman being a child is essential to the essence of his character and I think we lost that in the last few movies.

   Michael Keaton nailed it as the Vulture. I liked that his character's motivations weren't necessarily rooted in evil intent. He's kind of like Iron man in that respect before he was captured by terrorists. I also really like that in most ways, Spiderman Homecoming feels more like a teen movie. Now don't get me wrong, there are still some great Spiderman moments, but the heart of the film focuses on Peter more than Spidey. It focuses on him earning the right to be called a superhero and earning respect from Iron Man.
  There were only two things I didn't love in this movie. The first was Liz. I don't think she was that good of an actress and she doesn't really have a personality. Peter likes her and thinks she's awesome, but there is really no reason for the audience to like her, aside from her being pretty. It would have been nice to see a little more characterization. Secondly, the film felt a little long, about 15 minutes too long.
  Overall, Spiderman was everything I've come to expect from a standout Marvel movie. Entertaining, fun, comedic where it needs to be, and sincere. 8 out of 10 stars (I'd Buy It).

No comments:

Post a Comment