Friday, July 21, 2017

Dunkirk Review 2017

Dunkirk


  I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible for Nolan to make a bad movie... Like seriously, he never ceases to amaze me. Every Nolan movie is an experience, and Dunkirk is no different.
  Based on true events, Nolan's new film is the story of 400,000 men stranded in the French city of Dunkirk and trying to at the very least survive, and at best, return home. Its all star cast includes Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, and newcomers Fionn Whitehead and Harry Styles.
  Funnily enough, what I really appreciated about this movie, is something I've heard other critics complain about. The fact that there isn't really a main character, and the fact that the characters aren't given much of a backstory. I, however, think this was done intentionally. I think Nolan wanted us to connect more with the atmosphere and the experience of the war, then a specific character in it. I believe that is why all of the men looked so much alike. Nolan puts us right in the center of this major event and he makes the event the character. Because of this, we get to see the bigger picture of what went down.
  Speaking of pictures, see this on the biggest screen you can cause it is GORGEOUS. Seriously, the aerial views from the planes, above the beach, and over the water were like a massively immersive painting. Shot on 70mm film, Nolan blesses our screens with gloriously pristine imagery. But it's not only pretty, it's also practical when it comes to the special effects. Because of this, the actors are able to react naturally to the surroundings, putting their efforts more into other aspects of their performances.
  I also want to talk about the sound editing, because everything sounded so realistic! The gunshots, bombs, and planes rang through those theater speakers like they were right above me and all around me.
 I seriously cannot gush about this movie enough. It's intense, it's moving. Dunkirk is another epic masterpiece from the best director of our generation, and I will definitely be seeing it a second time in theaters. 10 out of 10 stars! (A Must See)

No comments:

Post a Comment