Monday, December 26, 2016

The Lobster Review (2016)

The Lobster 

 

  I thought that Swiss Army Man was the weirdest movie of the year, but I was wrong. Boy was I wrong.

  I saw The Lobster a while ago, but I was so confused by what I thought of it that I am just now doing this review. 

  The Lobster is a dark comedy about single people who are taken to this place where they are supposed to fall in love. If they don't meet anyone in a certain amount of time, they are turned into an animal. I'm not even kidding, that's the plot.

  As far as critiques, this is a frickin long movie with a very repetitive score. The satirical humor is very off color (definitely not for everyone), and the plot is pretty odd as I'm sure you've noticed. That said, there is something about this bleak, indie film that I really liked. It was original, layered, and well acted. Collin Farrell really commits to this role, giving us a quirky, funny, and moving character. As strange as the world he inhabits is, he grounds us and makes it believable. 

  This is a film that some people will love and some people will hate. I really appreciated the ambitious nature of it and the way it commented on social norms. When it comes to relationships, singleness, and loneliness, The Lobster tackles its themes in a way that really works. If you go into this with an open mind, you may like what you see. 6 out of 10 stars (Worth Ticket Price)

No comments:

Post a Comment