Thursday, December 29, 2016

Speed Reviews: Deadpool, Sully, The Nice Guys, and The Purge: Election Year

  In a year where superhero films are a dime a dozen, Deadpool hit theaters and changed the game. Not afraid of earning that hard R rating, Director Tim Miller gives us an edgy, cleverly self aware, and entertaining film. Does it break ground in terms of plot? Not particularly, but it has a lot to offer, and Ryan Reynolds couldn't be any cooler. 8 out of 10 stars. (I'd Buy It)



  I'm generally not a huge fan of Clint Eastwood films (I know, shoot me),  but I am a big fan of Tom Hanks. As usual, Hanks gives us a solid performance, but I must say I've seen him give more memorable ones. While Sully is definitely an inspiring story, I couldn't help but feel that the film as a whole felt lifeless in its execution. 5 out of 10 stars (Rent It)



  The Nice Guys is a detective story set in 1970's Los Angeles. Films like this aren't made very often, and this one hits just the spot. If there's one thing I loved about The Nice Guys, it's the amazing chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe. The humor is offbeat, the story is clever, and Shane Black's directing is top notch. This film knows exactly what it is, and delivers.  8 out of 10 stars (I'd Buy It) 

 

  Being a fan of the previous films, I was disappointed by how utterly stupid The Purge: Election Year was. All I wanted was some good entertaining action, a decent script, and some decent acting. Instead, I got the exact opposite. I was literally hoping certain characters would die just because their acting was so unbelievably awful. The script felt like it was written by a 9 year old boy, and the worst part, is that The Purge: Election Year thinks itself a relevant political commentary. Do yourself a favor, and skip this. 1 out of 10 stars. (Trash)

No comments:

Post a Comment