Thursday, December 8, 2016

La La Land Review (2016)

La La Land


  In 2014 there was a movie that was extremely hyped by critics and movie buffs everywhere. Usually when a movie has this much buzz, I enjoy it, but it's almost always a little disappointing due to how much I built it up in my head. This movie, however, was different. This movie was the best movie I'd ever seen, and to this day is my favorite film of all time. If you're wondering what it was, I'm talking about Whiplash. Damien Chazelle's debut film. 

  Here we are, two years later, and we have his second film, La La Land. I went into it with the same expectations I had when I saw Whiplash, and I left adoring it almost as much.

  La La Land is a love letter to passionate dreamers, to Los Angeles, to old musicals, and to romance. It's a timeless masterpiece, and by far the best movie of 2016. 

  Every shot and composition is absolutely gorgeous, the editing seamless, the choreography and music breathtaking. It's the kind of songs you don't mind getting stuck in your head and will definitely be winning best original score at the Oscars.

   I adored everything about this gem of a film, and I'm now convinced Chazelle can do no wrong.

  Working together for their third time, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone give us endearing, charismatic performances. Their chemistry was off the charts and more likeable actors could not have been cast.

  La La Land is one of those films that will put a lump in your throat, make you grin from ear to ear, and make you want to stand up and cheer all at the same time. It's high energy, it's whimsical, it's sometimes tragic, and as soon as it ended, I wanted to watch it all over again. 10 out of 10 stars. (A Must See)

No comments:

Post a Comment