Tuesday, May 31, 2016

X-men: Apocalypse Review (2016)

X-men: Apocalypse 


  Days of Future Past was my favorite Marvel movie since Iron man 1. What does that mean? It means I was stoked for Apocalypse. 

  In this new instalment to the X-men series, we are introduced to several new characters. Storm, Arch Angel, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey, Cyclops, and of course Apocalypse, played by my man, Oscar Isaac. 

  What I really love about the X-men series is it's storytelling and the parallels between the mutants and humans to real life. Compared to the other marvel movies, X-men just seems more grounded in reality and more layered. 

  While Apocalypse started out good, it starts to feel a little underwhelming once Apocalypse starts collecting Mutants to be his four horsemen. The plot and the tone didn't add up from that point and everything seemed so much bigger than it felt.

  Despite this, I still found myself quite enjoying the film. Quicksilver had another awesome scene and a lot more screen time, which made me happy. Wolverine had a cameo, which made me happy. ANDDD we got to watch Magneto put in some work, which always makes me happy. 

  Can I also talk about how underrated James McAvoy is as an actor and to this series. Whenever he cries, all the sudden I'm a sympathetic crier. I also wanted to give a special mention to Tye Sheridan as Scott Summers. He seriously nailed that role so well that I thought for a moment James Marsden had returned to the screen a few decades younger. 

  Even though I'm a big Oscar Isaac fan, I found the way Apocalypse was written to be somewhat cliched. He simply wasn't menacing enough to go up against such an overflow mutant heroes. Unfortunately this brought the movie down a bit. It was ambitious, but couldn't quite grasp what it was reaching for. I give X-men: Apocalypse a 6 out of 10 stars. (Worth Ticket Price)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment