Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Impossible Review (First Review of 2013)

My first review of 2013 will be a review of The Impossible.

  

  When I went to see The Impossible, I expected it to be intense, but not as emotionally draining and overwhelming as it was. The cinematography, special effects, direction, and acting were top notch. It was brutal and relentless, grabbing the audience by the throat and refusing to let go at any point in the film. This was far more graphic than I would have ever expected from a PG-13 rated film, but honestly if it were any less unsettling it wouldn't have felt right or true.

  Naomi Watts gives a phenomenal performance as Maria Belon that is Oscar worthy and by far the best I've seen from her. Newcomer, Tom Holland, also handles his own in his first feature film and is a surprising and delightful find. Ewan McGregor has a smaller part than both Holland and Watts, but steals every scene he's in. 

  A lot of people have a gripe with this film because the original family is a Spanish family and they use white actors, but I feel as though not very many actors in Hollywood, that I can think of, could have played this family as realistic and well as the actors chosen. 

  Although this film is compelling and beautiful, the director holds nothing back and if you can't stomach a lot, I don't suggest you see it. The Impossible is really an experience more than a piece of entertainment. I give this poignant film a well deserved 5/5 stars. (A Must See)


No comments:

Post a Comment