Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Get Out Review (2017)

Get Out


  From the mind of comedian Jordan Peele, Get Out is a horror film about a young black man who is visiting his white girlfriend's family for the first time. All starts off well, until Chris (played by Daniel Kaluuya) realizes that things aren't what they seemed.
  When I first saw the trailer for this film, I had no interest in seeing it. Then it released, and opening week it got 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. Like what? Obviously I had to see it after that, and I'm glad I did!
  I'll start off by saying that avid horror fans won't be scared by this movie. If anything, it's more of a thriller. That said, what Get Out does excel in, is comedy. Duh. It's Jordan Peele. I loved the satirical strain running through the film, and how it deals with subtle prejudice. Film has a way of shining a light on things that people feel uncomfortable talking about, and there is no better way of doing that than through humor.
  The score by Michael Abels was great, creating an uneasiness in tone and setting us in this moody, unfamiliar environment. The cinematography by Toby Oliver was brilliant. Kaluuya's acting? Holy cow. He was sooo good in this movie, and his American accent is on point. I knew he was a fantastic actor from watching that Netflix show Black Mirror, but here he continued to impress me. His co-star Allison Williams also really sells her character from start to finish, as well as Catherine Keener, Bradley Witford, and Caleb Landry Jones as her family.
  This is a film you will definitely want to see twice. Foreshadowing is cleverly weaved through the script from the very beginning, so if you're a fan of analyzing film, there are some really cool, subtle easter eggs and symbolism you're going to pick up on.
  Now for the qualms I had with Get Out. There are a lot of instances when we get into the more horror aspects of the film where you have to suspend your disbelief for the sake of the story. Some might not be able to do this and will think certain plot points in the film are stupid. Others will be able to and will highly enjoy the film. I personally had mixed feelings. I respected what it was going for, but there were just some holes in the conclusion and plot twist that left me scratching my head slightly. I always tend to like more grounded films, so when they go in the direction of, well, a movie like Split, it looses me a bit.
  In the end there is a lot going for this film, but it's definitely not perfect. 7 out of 10 stars. (Very Good) 

2 comments:

  1. Good review! You made me want to watch it again. You were right on the money regarding the response of avid horror fans. I am one of them, so it was not scary at all to me, but it delivered on creepiness and thrills.

    ReplyDelete