Monday, January 23, 2017

Split Review (2017)

Split


  So let me start off saying I'm not a huge fan of M. Night Shyamalan, which means my expectations going into this weren't very high. I did want to see it though because I love James McAvoy and it got pretty good critical reception. 

  On a technical level, Split really flourishes. It's seamlessly directed and edited. Another thing that really worked for this film was the acting. James McAvoy (one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood) gives one of the best performances I've seen from him. In the hands of another actor, this role could have easily been laughable, but not only is he terrifying, he also can be funny, cringe-worthy, and even sympathetic, all at the same time.

  I've been watching out for Anya Taylor-Joy since The Witch, and apparently with good reason! Her, her friends, played by Haley Lu Richardson and Jessica Sula, and McAvoy's therapist Betty Buckley, were all were terrific. Solid acting from the cast as a whole. 

  While Split had all of the ingredients for a good film, Shayamalan always has to ruin it. It's not enough that McAvoy's character has 24 personalities and kidnapped 3 girls, no, he has to throw in some ridiculous twist that swipes the movie right off it's feet. Of course I saw it coming the whole time, the movie was building towards it. Unfortunately though, when it hit, I just couldn't take Split seriously anymore. There is a second sort-of twist at the end of Split that has critics and audiences torn on whether the conclusion makes up for the climax, but most people probably won't even understand what the conclusion is. This is not the audiences fault either, it's directed for a certain group of people who have prior knowledge outside of the film itself. You'll understand what I'm talking about if you choose to see it, and you should. Split is definitely (Worth Ticket Price) 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment