Monday, January 23, 2017

Hidden Figures Review (2017)

Hidden Figures


  Nothing makes me happier than seeing black women in a movie where they aren't playing a slave or the help. In Hidden Figures, we remember three brilliant women who history decided to forget.

  Hidden Figures is one of those movies that really reaches any age-demographic. It's a feel good, crowd-pleaser. It's not groundbreaking in terms of storytelling, in fact it's very paint-by-numbers. That said, it's solid. Solid acting, solid story, solid pacing. It's uplifting and charming, but to be honest it never hit me on an emotional level. It felt like a movie I'd seen a hundred times before and liked, but I don't think I'd want to see it again. Hidden Figures is a very safe film that doesn't give you a lot to critique technically, but also doesn't really blow you away either. As soon as it starts, you have an idea of where it's going and it does just that.

  It kind of upsets me that Hidden Figures is in the best picture category at the Oscars, when movies like Nocturnal Animals and Edge of Seventeen totally got snubbed. Don't get me wrong, I like this film, but it's probably not one that I'm going to buy or remember. 6 out of 10 stars (Worth Ticket Price)  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment