Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Imperium Review (2016)

Imperium


  So as most of you know, I really love talking about some smaller, less mainstream movies that may have passed under your radar. Well today, I bring you a movie based on true events called, Imperium.

  In Imperium, Daniel Radcliff stars as an FBI agent going undercover into a white supremacist gang in order to stop a predicted terrorist attack.

  There were some things I really like about this movie, so I'll talk about those things first. 

  1. The tension. The whole time Daniel Radcliff's character is undercover, you never know who knows what, if he's convincing enough, if he's about to get caught, or if they're about to get away with something awful. The entire film, you're at the edge of your seat, rooting for Radcliff not to get caught, all the while waiting for something really terrible to happen. 

  2. I loved the moral conflicts the film presented. There is a scene (non spoiler) where the gang wants to go harass an interracial couple, and Daniel Radcliff's character can either blow his cover and help the people escape, or join in on the harassment so he looks convincing. It was scenes like these that really made the film. 

  3. Daniel Radcliff does an excellent, extremely convincing job in this role. After Harry Potter, Radcliff has picked very unique, interesting films to be in, like Swiss Army Man and Horns. While I admit, he still has room for some minor improvements, I think he's got a lot of talent and he really showcases it here in Imperium. My only complaint, is that I wish his character had more of an arch. He is the same person at the beginning of the film as he is at the end of it.

  As for the things I didn't love so much. . .

  1. There wasn't a lot of characterization for the gang of white supremacists. While you know people like them exist, they didn't feel very fleshed out as individuals. Unlike American History X, their arguments for their racism and hatred was very obviously wrong and the movie made sure you knew they were wrong. What I'm trying to say, is that it is very heavy-handed in it's represented perspective. Where a film like American History X really makes you see for yourself why racism, and white supremacy is wrong. American History X painted the characters as real human beings with complex feelings and rational, capable of change. 

  In the end, while I really really like Imperium, and I found it highly entertaining, I wish it had been a little less preachy in areas, and let the remarkable story speak for itself. 7 out of 10 (Really Good)

No comments:

Post a Comment