Friday, June 5, 2015

Me & Earl & the Dying Girl Review (2015)

Me & Earl & the Dying Girl


  So I had the awesome opportunity to see an advanced screening of the book to movie adaption, Me & Earl & the Dying Girl. I read the book a little while ago and I was a big fan of Jesse Andrew's quirky writing style. I also had super high hopes for this film because it practically blew up at Sundance. 

  The story focus on a super awkward senior named Greg (played by Thomas Mann) and his eccentric co-worker/kind-of-friend Earl (played by up-and-coming actor RJ Cyler.) Greg's mother forces him to hang out with one of his classmates (played by Olivia Cooke) who is dying of cancer, and his life is changed forever.  

  What I really loved about the book and movie, is that it doesn't follow any of the "cancer genre" cliches. Nothing happens the way you expect it to, but instead it takes a refreshingly more realistic, non-hollywood approach.

  Even though it's about a girl with cancer, Greg's character is absolutely hilarious and Earl really balances him out. There are moments of humor gold and moments of quiet where required. 

  By the end of the book, I felt a little underwhelmed with the ending, and so it wasn't exactly surprising that I felt the same way with the movie. I'm not saying the ending is bad or anything, (they actually changed it a bit from the book) but I wanted to be moved a tad bit more than I was.

  Over all, I really really enjoyed this film and would totally see it again. 4.5 out of 5 Stars (I'd Buy It)

No comments:

Post a Comment