Monday, December 4, 2017

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri Review (2017)

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri


  When I went and saw Three Billboards I didn't go in thinking I was about to watch one of the best films of the year. That, however, is exactly what happened.
  This is the story of a woman whose daughter is murdered, raped, and killed. When the police take too long to find the person who did it, she puts up 3 billboards asking for justice and calling them out personally. If I were to summarize this movie using one of its own quotes, I would say, "Anger only begets more anger." And this film is so angry it's palpable.
  There was sooo much I appreciate about this movie, but let's first talk about that script! Wow is it just outrageous! (And I mean that in a good way!) Writer and Director, Martin McDonagh, is not afraid to be offensive, delivering one of the most laugh-out-loud funny scripts of the year. His tremendously dark comedy and witty dialogue drive this film, but it doesn't only work in the humor department. It is also incredibly unpredictable, taking your expectations and flipping them on their head. Every character in the film does things that should make us as an audience hate them, but then we get these moments of great vulnerability that really bring a sense of humanity to the story. I can't only give credit to the script though. Three Billboards has some of the best performances of the year. Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, and Sam Rockwell KILL IT in this film. McDormand is a raging powerhouse here, balancing vulgar, violent rage and sincere emotion.
  You will probably leave this film with a lot of questions, but I believe that's intentional. This is a film that shows how even the darkest sides of humanity can be redeemable and find forgiveness in others and in themselves. Three Billboards is unforgettable and deserves a 10 out of 10 Stars from me. (A Must See)

No comments:

Post a Comment