Thursday, March 12, 2015

Foxcatcher Review (2014)

Foxcatcher


  While Foxcatcher is the story of a wrestler, it is quite unlike most sports films. Don't get me wrong, all of the elements of a sports film is in there, but the story is driven by nuanced characters instead of the sport itself.
  In the beginning, it is very slow and the lack of a musical score makes it feel even slower. The characters are quite hard to read, but as we get to know them and understand their motives, this darkly toned film begins to find its feet.
  Steve Carell does an excellent job in his role, leaving the audience in perpetual confusion as to whether or not we like or hate his character. The nomination for best supporting actor was well deserved.
  I'm not a fan of Channing Tatum in dramatic type roles, but his performance in Foxcatcher wasn't as distracting as I thought it would be. In fact, he even showed some spurts of convincing and intuitive talent.
  There were moments while watching where I was honestly quite bored. It's almost as if the chilly tone and intentionally distant characters put a barrier between the audience and story. All of that said, by the third act, the movie takes an even darker turn and I found myself engaged again. I'd have to give Foxcatcher 3.5 out of 5 stars. (Worth Ticket Price)


No comments:

Post a Comment